Tuesday, July 29, 2008

In Training

Just completed a 40 minute run going up and down the park connectors around Katong, part of a plan involving, if not cunning, then significant degrees of chutzpah. Yes, I am in training for the staff run, all 3.5 kilometres of it, this Friday morning at West Coast Park. Unfortunately, I can't honestly say my training has prepared me for the event in such a way as to guarantee even an average performance (like making sure I get round in one piece.)

The problem is that there's no predicting exactly how my body will perform even the most mundane tasks, like climbing stairs, on any given day. A couple of weeks ago my right knee decided to declare itself unavailable for use twice in one afternoon, without any particular provocation. I'm hoping I will wake up tomorrow still able to move with reasonable fluidity signaling a full recovery from this evening's really quite gentle workout.

And yet another problem lurks slightly further into the future. Supposing I reach the starting line on Friday, I'm hoping the teenage bits of my brain won't delude my body into thinking it might just be worth going a little quicker than it's normally used to. That would be an excellent way to scupper the weekend.

So why am I doing this at all? For the glory, what else?

Oh, and I'm a couple of kilograms over my fighting weight and I'd like to shift at least one of them ahead of fasting month (which is not far away now.)

No comments: