Friday, June 20, 2008

Business As Usual

Woke this morning to complete my first run for a week. My back came through the experience in one piece, I think.

Then watched the highlights of the Germany vs Portugal game. Not much really changes, does it? (I’m referring to the dreary result.)

We’re off south later today for a quick visit to Mak & Abba & family in Melaka, ahead of making our way home on Sunday. But wait, I thought we were home here? Things get awfully complicated in this post-colonial world sometimes, even if the Germans do manage to always win.

5 comments:

The Hierophant said...

Deutschland! Can't say I am unhappy -- I bought a Germany 2008 shirt. I have some reflections on Paddy Clarke here Just in case you're interested -- a re-read always clears things up.

Brian Connor said...

Appreciate the link. Oddly enough I reread The Color Purple over the weekend and cleared my mind regarding some of the complicated family stuff. I was thinking of having a quick reread of Paddy Clarke before teaching it again in Week 3.

The Hierophant said...

Tugs the heartstrings, it does. I would think it would affect you more than the average reader. Pfft, United fans. I never appreciated The Color Purple as much I did Huck Finn and Paddy Clarke: this means another reading is in order.

Brian Connor said...

Are you thinking of Paddy Clarke tugging the strings or Ms Walker's tale? I find The Color Purple worthy but more than a touch manipulative. Paddy Clarke, in contrast, is so simply true it blows me away. The only problem I have with it is that when reading I'm filled with memories of an exactly contemporary Manchester childhood and they can get in the way a bit.

The Hierophant said...

More of Paddy Clarke. The Color Purple unearths a problem I didn't know I had: I don't find female narrators nearly as comfortable or compelling as male narrators. I don't think it's a misogynist strand; rather, male narrators (and protagonists) are simply far more common.