Thursday, May 15, 2008

Laughter In Heaven

Convinced secularists would do well to avoid the next paragraph. Or possibly read it metaphorically.

I don't think we actually own our talents. Rather they are on a short term lease from God. I suppose that makes us caretakers of a sort. When we use them well then the Almighty delights. And in that delight we find an echo in our own, less substantial, but (to us) more real delight. That moment when we know we've done something much bigger than what we really are is the real reward we strive for. This afternoon, around about two o' clock, despite the all-too-real-and-now troubles of our fallen world, I believe there were one or two chuckles up above.

Which is a long way round of saying I had a great time at the SYF Drama at which our guys gave a first rate, very funny performance. And in one tiny part of the world all was well.

I think it's in that most canny of epics The Mahabharata (or at least in one translation I know of it) that, at one point, a riddle is put to Yudhistira: What is it that is inevitable? And the answer is: Happiness.

No comments: