Saturday, May 24, 2008

Feasting

The centrality of food within Malay culture affords me much to be thankful for, and, equally much to be wary of. Noi's cousin, Rokiah, as so many Malay ladies do, expresses her affection through the food she feeds you, and she has deep wells of affection. She lives fairly close to my school and occasionally, like this morning, I drop Noi off at her place for a few hours whilst I go into work.

These visits invariably result in ample helpings of cardiac-inducing food & drink coming my way when I pick my wife up, and with equal inevitability we find ourselves heading home with enough supplies to feed a small army.

Today we've been snacking on goreng pisang and we've just had tahu goreng for dinner. These dishes give new meaning to the phrase 'to die for', being severely wonderful.

No comments: