Friday, April 11, 2008

A Small Moment

Today the school played host to a competition that draws in teams from schools of all levels from all over the island. By the afternoon the place was swarming with lots of kids, almost all of whom seemed to be having a thoroughly good, extremely noisy, time.

At one point I was walking along a walkway outside on my way to a meeting and two little lads were approaching in the opposite direction. There happened to be a patch of grass to their right and my left. Suddenly one of the lads launched himself sideways, for no reason I could fathom, onto the patch of grass, and proceeded to roll over, laughing exuberantly. His companion joined in the mirth but resisted the desire to achieve take-off. It occurred to me that it would be rather a good scheme to launch myself onto the grass also but I also resisted the temptation as good sense made me aware that it would be 1. difficult to do so whilst carrying two bags and a laptop computer and also 2. highly disturbing to our two small visitors to discover that at least one of the teachers in the rather grand school they found themselves in was quite mad.

Actually it's misleading to say the boy jumped for no reason - you don't need a reason for a swan-dive when you're that age. I think I spent a fair proportion of my childhood rolling around on grass, at least in the summer months. And a jolly good place to be it was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some day, like me, you will be retired. You will have a thousand vignettes like this to choose from. You can write a book (or, who knows, an ethnographic dissertation) on your experiences. And you, my friend, will pwn them all. What a lovely piece!

The Hierophant said...

Hmmm. Oh yes. If only you had joined our two guests... probably end up in the papers or something.

Brian Connor said...

Such autolycan praise has left me more than a little chuffed and thankful for the kind comment. I look forward to many words of wisdom in the inestimable Findings in this no doubt brief period of semi-retirement.

My only regret about the incident was not joining in, which I certainly would have had the cameras been there. Anything to brighten up The New Paper.