Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Heat Is On

The last week or so has seen temperatures rising here. Not by a substantial amount - it's always what the English would regard as hot (and sticky). But a couple of degrees makes a lot of difference in the hot and sticky stakes.

My test for how hot it's going to be is simple. As I leave the apartment at 6.05 in the morning if Noi says There's perspiration on your shirt a clammy day is guaranteed.

The advantage I have over most people in Singapore is that I actually like the heat. Certainly it can be uncomfortable, and quite headachy, but, trust me, anything is better than winter in the north of England.

2 comments:

Sheela said...

Running in and out of the freezing aircon at NUS into the burning heat leaves me with a horrible heat rash on my face/neck a la Pippi Longstocking. Ick!
I really hope it doesn't get worse in June :(
I REALLY donno how you tahan, esp that time in TK when you used to wear shirt + tie (do you still?)

Brian Connor said...

Of course, must tahan. In fact, I try to wear long-sleeved shirts more often these days, but I don't own too many of them.

Remember, the wearing of ridiclous and inappropraite clothing is a British tradition of long-stading. Some would argue it's how we built an empire. (A theory expounded at unlikely length in that greatest of all Carry On movies, Carry On Up The Khyber.)