Saturday, April 26, 2008

Changing

I've not been listening much to music over the last three weeks despite having reasonable opportunities to do so. I don’t why, but there it is. A fallow period.

The only place I've really been focusing on groovy sounds has been in the car and the CDs installed in the changer have been there for that period, only now being replaced. So this is what has engaged me recently: first off - Arctic Monkeys' first album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. I suppose this is my way of attempting to stay young and a very jolly way it is. Following that Robert Fripp's Exposure (the 2006 version), with CD2 being the one of the set that stayed longest in the changer. Then it's been The Complete A and B Sides 1963 - 1970 of Dusty Springfield. And after that Paul McCartney's Chaos And Creation In The Backyard. And finally Nightmoves from Kurt Elling.

There's something about the arbitrariness of the list I like, a kind of pleasing messiness. I'll let that speak for itself. A good way to stay old.

3 comments:

The Hierophant said...

On the musical front: been listening to a lot of Schubert. Winterreise and Die schöne Müllerin.

Brian Connor said...

I've never got into lieder. (Is that the right spelling?) I'm uneasily aware it's my loss.

The Hierophant said...

Right spelling. Well, it certainly is a loss, but we can't listen to everything. Perhaps if you picked up German... heh, I'm sniggering while trying to imagine you speaking Deutsch.