Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Otherworldly

If anyone had ever said to me I would one day listen to a vocal rendition of Coltrane's solo on Resolution from A Love Supreme, complete with spectacularly ornate lyric, accompanied by a piano, bass and drums trio with at least as much umph as the original Tyner, Jones, Garrison line-up I don't think I would have taken them too seriously. And how wrong I would have been, as evinced by last night's brilliant performance by Kurt Elling. Resolution was just one number out of a sequence of thrillingly imaginative, superbly crafted pieces that made for one of the best nights I've spent in a concert hall. Ever.

Great performers make you acutely aware of every nuance. Last night featured some special moments of intense quiet and powerful listening. The music and lyrics: romantic, humorous, clever, melancholy, dazzling. Supremely hip.

The hall itself was probably only half full. Why is it that so many of those at the top of their game fail to appeal to a wide public?

No comments: