Sunday, March 2, 2008

Blunders

Enjoying a particularly nifty bit of footwork from the yellow-booted Nani in the replay of the United-Fulham game just now I found myself reflecting, with some envy, of the extraordinary degree of physical grace possessed by some individuals. I suppose this is one of the reasons why soccer is seen as the beautiful game. That kind of skill somehow connects to a supreme economy of effort and movement.

In contrast, on a bad day physically I can feel extremely clumsy, as if everything is slightly askew, just that little bit out of place. Last week I banged my head firmly enough against something to draw blood, as Noi pointed out after, without realising I had done so. On a really bad day this is allied to a slowness of mind which would be distressing if it weren't quite funny: I'm liable to forget something important, leave something lying around that I really need, make a mess of something routine. Fortunately such days are rare, but they do happen. The good thing is knowing that I can survive them and get back to a kind of minor version of grace.

It would be odd to be one of the blessed ones and know when you've really messed up. Playing in the Newcastle back four must make you feel a bit that way. Or being Kevin Keegan.

No comments: