Saturday, February 2, 2008

Rough Magic

I got back in from work at 8.40 pm. and will need to be back there tomorrow morning at 8.30. The odd thing is that, although extremely tired, I'm enjoying the weekend. It helps that I had the pleasure in the early evening of watching rough runs of two short plays put together by our ACSIS students, one of which we'll be selecting as a piece to develop further as an entry for the drama segment of the Singapore Youth Festival. Watching young people enjoy their acting is one of life's richer experiences and tonight there was a particular sense of joy about the proceedings. I suppose this was to some degree connected with the rough and ready nature of the performances - a sort of musical hall quality.

Of course we'll take this and refine it and come up with something slick and sleek (we hope) but we'll be trying not to lose that rough magic in the (tough) process.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't find a Tagboard to troll, so I'll do it here!

Metallica, Deep Purple, The Who, Led Zepplin, The Doors, Motorhead, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan, KISS, Queen, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, Alice in Chains, The Clash, The Ramones. The best music known to man was made before I was born, that's just sad.

But there is one exception: NIRVANA.

Guess who. xP

Brian Connor said...

I'm guessing: Xianyi?

A solid list which meets with my approval (and which I probably would have pretty much reproduced some decades back.) I am still nodding vigorously at The Who, Led Zepp, The Doors, Zappa, Dylan, The Clash & Nirvana (though I'd add Pearl Jam on that one.)

But there's plenty of fine sounds still issuing forth. The mighty Crimson are alive and well and shredding wallpaper at 100 metres, just to mention one (old) band broadly in this genre. And when I listen to youngsters like Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire I feel fifteen again. (In fact, one bit of me always feels fifteen.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't followed up on this for 2months adn 7days. Hooray for me. Yes it is I, the resident metalhead. I dare say Metallica deserves a place up there, Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman stand among the greats.

Ha! I see indie bands up there, I seem unable come to appreciate them thus far. Perhaps I'm too drunk from licking up the metalcore scene right now.

You really should give Queens of the Stone Age a listen, it's really awesome stuff.