Thursday, January 17, 2008

As Good As It Gets

There was a Jack Nicholson movie that went by this title a few years back. I sort of watched it (on tv) but not with any great degree of attention and I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing. But I think I remember rightly that Jackie boy's character was worried that this was as good as it was ever going to get when he regarded what he'd got as being not particularly good. If you see what I mean.

I mention this since I frequently find myself thinking, with a sort of small but gratified sense of surprise, that this is as good as it gets and I find it difficult to imagine it getting any better as it's just so good. This evening, for instance, around 6.15: the missus and me, at the hawker centre near Eunos MRT, drinking teh O (hers) and teh tarik (mine) and eating three hot-from-the-frying curry puffs (one for her and two for me), the sunlight glaring, but the heat of the day beginning to ease. I rest my case.

No comments: