Monday, October 1, 2007

Children's Day

19 Ramadhan

The main events of the day: At work - the exams have started for Year 5, the year I teach, with their English papers. This means I have a pile of marking to go at for the next few days. Tomorrow the teachers marking with me will be doing a standardisation exercise so I've just been looking through and marking the scripts selected. At home - the girls broke their fast with us and I'll be taking them back to their Ibu and Ayah in a few minutes; it's school as usual for them tomorrow, today being their Children's Day holiday. They have been 'assisting' their Mak Ndak in the manufacture of Hari Raya goodies and watching lots of television - not a bad way to spend a holiday. (I'm a heretic when it comes to the idea of kids at primary school 'studying'. Let them have a childhood, please.) We now have a substantial number of biscuits (chocolate chip cookies and the little ones with the cashew nut on top) all over the house and this is only the beginning.

No comments: