Friday, October 5, 2007

All Laid Out

23 Ramadhan

I've just spent the last twenty minutes or so laid flat out on the carpet trying to iron out a painful kink in the left side of my back, just above the hip, that suddenly sprung to ugly prominence just after I broke the fast. It's been lurking all day, I think brought on by bending forward when marking. I've cleared a lot of scripts in the last five days, going at it remorselessly and concentratedly, and that's when these problems tend to manifest themselves. Looking on the bright side of things, I think this is the first big problem I've had with my back in the whole year and that's something I wouldn't have dared to hope for in January. Ironically, I had been planning to go for a bit of a run tonight, alone, as Noi is on biscuit-making duty, trying to catch up on the days she missed going to Melaka. We got down to the fitness centre last Tuesday and I was hoping to keep the momentum going - but at this point in time, when even typing this is quite painful, the idea of any kind of physical exercise seems entirely out of the question. Oh hum.

Just to add something to yesterday's brief comments on religion (which seemed to come out of nowhere.) A thought experiment: consider it absolutely proved, no God, no meaning in any form of religion whatsoever, and everyone accepting that as the way things are - a kind of atheistic nirvana. Would it be worth while continuing doing the things one does as part of religious practice? If the answer is yes, and I suspect that would be so for a surprising number of practitioners, that would suggest a certain degree of soundness in one's practice.

No comments: