Monday, September 10, 2007

Overdoing It

In honour of the Monday Staff Wellness I did six laps of the track this afternoon. Unfortunately I am now getting in touch with the aches in most of the muscles in my nether regions. Since I went running on Thursday and Saturday, and swimming on Friday, I'm making an educated guess that my body is attempting to inform me it's no longer that of the young lad who could run about one day and be recovered the next. We are supposed to be going to the fitness centre tomorrow but I may need to rethink exactly what I'm going to do when I'm there.

I suppose my current bout of enthusiasm for all things physical is the realisation that once we begin the fast it will be very hard to factor in any time at all for exercise. Having said that it was interesting that when Noi and I discussed this difficulty she was obviously keen to try and keep something going - maybe in the late evening. This will need some thought. The fact that fasting means you need to thoroughly consider everything you do is one of the reasons it's such an intense experience.

I read somewhere the other day that we renew our bodies entirely every seven years or so - that is, the stuff that makes them up is completely different after each cycle. That's a liberating and frightening thought at one and the same time. (I think I read this in The Cartoonist which is a bit embarrassing. I knew it before - I think - but had managed to forget it. Another joy of reading: finding out about things you should know but had forgotten. I think it's Montaigne in an essai that points out what a great advantage it is to be forgetful because then what you read is guaranteed novelty value, but then I'm too forgetful to be sure of the reference.)

No comments: