Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Vocally Speaking

It was touch & go as to whether my voice would last the day. That was worrying, to say the least; a voiceless teacher is not exactly effective. I'm pleased to say it did last out and, I think, is in a slightly better state now than it was at this time yesterday.

Listened to Bob Dylan's Shot of Love this evening, for the first time in quite a while. Vocally I think he was on pretty good form on a generally underrated album. This version has The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar on it, which makes for a much stronger set all round somehow. Oddly I always enjoy Property of Jesus which nearly all the critics hate, but Bob in a name-calling mood is always a bracing experience, even when you're not exactly on his side. I suspect that if his targets had been acceptable to his liberal fans (instead of actually being said fans) the track would have been hailed as a classic in musical terms.

Why is it that guys singing in the same band end up sounding like each other? It's taken me years to realise that the Edge sings on Seconds (off War) rather than Bono, and I rarely have a clue who is actually taking the main vocal on any Pink Floyd track (except for the Syd Barrett stuff, of course.) I rest my case with Daltrey & Townshend. Oh, and Jagger & Richards - who were most definitely not the property of Jesus.

No comments: