Saturday, April 14, 2007

Fit For Anything

I don't watch a lot of tv and generally what I do watch is something that Noi & I can enjoy together. Ever since we've been able to get the Discovery: Health & Home channel (I think that's what it's called) she's tended to pick up on quite a bit of the stuff they air and that's worked to our advantage. Firstly, it tends to show programmes that I don't mind watching so it gives us further opportunities to share our viewing and, secondly, it's helped to make us both rather more conscious of issues related to diet and exercise at a time in our lives when we may have been more likely to let things go. For example, it would have been pretty much unthinkable a few years back for Noi to don the running shoes and get herself moving. But last night that's exactly what she did, as she has done for a number of Fridays now, and there's been a distinct improvement in her fitness even though we've only managed to take ourselves down to East Park Coast for our workout about once a week this year.

I suggested to her that we should aim to try and get out a couple of times each week from now on and I think she's interested in doing so. However, I don't want a situation in which exercising begins to feel like a burden to either of us. At the moment it feels like fun and it would good to keep it that way. On a trip to the library today we popped in at the community centre to check the price of using the gym there. Noi is interested in the treadmills but actually I wouldn't mind doing something with weights. That's a kind of exercise I've never really got involved in but I think it could prove a useful addition to the cardiovascular stuff I'm more familiar with.

No comments: