Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Nearly There

Yesterday was consumed by Black Comedy business. I started some small-scale rehearsing around 9.30 am and left for home at gone 2.00 am, the next morning, ie, this morning. Now I'm feeling extremely tired, but we'll be rehearsing again at 4.00 pm so I'd better dig deep into my reserves. Of course, this is simply the nature of the business of getting stuff on stage. There's a lot to be done by Friday night (performance night) but it feels like we are getting there. One difference though between this show and others I've done: it's Ferdinand who's leading the way with seemingly boundless reserves of drive & energy and my role is nothing like as demanding. Another difference: the students are also more than capable of getting major things done off their own backs. So again, I feel like I'm simply along for the ride and am thus able to enjoy the experience without that curiously stifled feeling I used to get when I was seen as being very much the one in control, calling all the shots. It's nice to be a passenger.

It also helps that I'm thoroughly enjoying the actual play and the performances. The material is very demanding but the cast bring it to life, even in the early hours of the morning - with some of the students having arrived from other stuff they've also had to be involved with. This has been a more than worthwhile process for all involved.

No comments: