Friday, March 9, 2007

Mistaken Identity

Despite feeling ferociously tired after a tough week at work I got myself out this evening for a brisk walk interspersed with some (slow) jogging at East Coast Park. Actually I should say we got ourselves out as Noi was the driving force behind our little expedition. I'm now feeling not so ferociously tired but somewhat foolishly pleased with myself.

Just before going out I'd been reading the Straits Times and finding myself in agreement with a columnist writing about the need to build up some kind of critical community in the media, regarding the arts. Sadly in the very next article I read, quite a lengthy feature in the entertainment section, another columnist managed to confuse the rather splendid Rickie Lee Jones (coming here for a music festival) for the equally splendid Joni Mitchell. I don't know how Ms Jones is going to feel about being credited with the writing of Both Sides Now but I hope nobody buys a ticket expecting her to give her rendition thereof. Oh dear. Do they have sub-editors on newspapers these days? Did Rickie make false claims in an interview? Do journalists know how to check their facts using the internet?

No comments: