Saturday, March 10, 2007

Committed

Without really intending to I read Roddy Doyle's The Commitments between last night and this afternoon. Terrific stuff. The rhythm of the dialogue keeps the narrative moving at a cracking pace, even when nothing is really happening, which is most of the time. I remember enjoying the movie (Alan Parker directed, I think) but feeling that the music was too glossy. In the original, when you only hear it in your head, it's nicely raw and smaller. The book's funnier as well.

I've just discovered how to format for paragraphs in this blog. All it took was looking up the html code and applying it myself in the window that lets you edit for such. I applied this to yesterday's item with success and am now feeling absurdly pleased with myself. (Oddly enough I don't seem to be asking why it took me so long to think of this perfectly simple solution after the problem had bugged me for weeks. I suppose I could edit all the entries to the outset of From A Far Place but it's easier to leave them as they are, evidence of my slowness of mind.)

No comments: