Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Locked Out!

We faced a small crisis yesterday evening, one that accounts for the lack of diarying for 12 February. The fates (and our foolishness) conspired to get us locked out of our computer room. The lesson we learned: keep keys to a room outside the room itself. And it was an expensive lesson - Noi had to plead with a locksmith chappie, employed occasionally by Gebian, to come and do the necessary, all the way from Tuas. He arrived, I'm told, just before midnight, taking all of 5 minutes to break-in. By that hour I was enjoying a few zzzz's so I missed the drama of it all. If we hadn't have been able to get someone around I would have faced a dreadful day at work since my school bag was inside the locked room. Thank goodness for Noi's (considerable) powers of persuasion. I'm trying to sustain some real reading but finding myself tending to merely dip here & there. I've embarked on Fredy Neptune a novel in verse by Les Murray, and it's cracking stuff, but it needs, it deserves, to be read slowly. The result is a lot of enjoyment for me but a feeling I'm not fully applying the grey matter. Also Boon leant me Karen Armstrong's book on the axial age and it's a bit too substantial to surrender to a few day's reading but I can't resist dipping in. However, it's kind of cutting across some other stuff I had in mind and I'm inclined to put it to one side for a while.

No comments: